Many individuals are nervous about going to seek assistance from an attorney for bankruptcy. Our legal professionals understand your concerns and work hard to educate you about the process, so you are comfortable moving forward.
At the O'Brien Law Firm, LLC, we focus exclusively in the areas of bankruptcy and debt relief options for individuals just like you. Located in Southaven, our attorney is licensed in both Mississippi and Tennessee, so we serve clients in both states.
Chapter 7 Bankruptcy
Chapter 7 is a tool used to help individuals in serious financial trouble. Individuals who are eligible for Chapter 7 bankruptcy are generally able to keep all of their belongings because, frequently, they are exempt under the state law. In rare instances, the process may involve liquidating assets and belongings to pay off creditors, in exchange for having their debts wiped away. With limited exceptions, you must pass a means test prescribed by the bankruptcy code to file Chapter 7. The entire process, from start to finish, normally takes about six months.
Handling Your Chapter 7 Bankruptcy
Our law firm handles your bankruptcy in the following manner:
- Organizational meeting: You meet with our attorney in person or online to create a plan of action. If you provide your current check stub or other income statement with deductions itemized, we can provide a means test screen.
- Collect information: With our assistance, you carefully submit the facts and details of your case, as well as pertinent documents, so that our attorney can put your information into a petition and schedules in the proper form for the court.
- Credit counseling: You must complete a credit counseling course with an approved provider prior to filing.
- Signatures: We set up a time for you to sign your paperwork, and generally file your paperwork the same day you sign it.
- Meeting with creditors: Once your paperwork is properly filed, you are assigned a date and time to meet with creditors. Our attorney works with clients to make sure they are prepared for the meeting. You are required to be at the meeting room, not a courtroom, for about half an hour (or 2 hours if a TN client), but your meeting will only take a few minutes.
Our attorney and legal staff work together to make certain your paperwork is complete, and you are thoroughly prepared for the meetings involved in Chapter 7 bankruptcy.
Contact Hernando Personal Bankruptcy Attorney
Whether you need a lawyer to handle a personal bankruptcy or a business bankruptcy, we can help. Contact our Southaven Chapter 7 bankruptcy attorney online by filling out the form, or by calling us at 662-655-1012 or toll free at 866-504-5969.
We are a debt relief agency. We help people file for bankruptcy relief under the bankruptcy code.