Bankruptcy Document Checklist
You do not need all the documents at your initial consultation but the advice you receive may be limited. Not all documents listed may apply to you.
● The last two years Federal and State tax returns (please submit the entire return to our office, not just the W-2s)If you can’t locate a tax return that we will need, you can order it from the IRS online at www.irs.gov/Individuals/Order-a-Transcript or by visiting the IRS service Center located at 22 N. Front St., Memphis TN 38103. Be sure to order the “Tax Return Transcript” NOT the “Tax Account Transcript”.
● Payroll printouts or check stubs for the last full 7 months including the most recent. If you have changed jobs, we need the payroll information from your current job and the payroll information from your prior job for the time you were at that job during the six-month period prior to your appointment. If you have not worked the full six-month period bring only what you have. If you have more than one job, we need info on all of them. If you are self-employed or a business owner, please provide monthly profit and loss statements for the prior six-months.
- Recent benefits statement for government benefits (including food stamps, social security, disability, or unemployment) or other retirement/pension benefits.
- Bank statements (checking and savings) for the last 3 months
- Proof of Insurance on House (if not escrowed) and/or Car(s) (unless you have no car note)
- All Court Papers Regarding Any Lawsuits (including divorces) to which you are a party
- All Retirement Accounts Statements for 401(k), IRAs, etc. (do not include traditional pensions which you can’t cash out)
- Tax assessors property tax card for all real estate you own including your homestead. If the property is in Desoto, Marshall or Shelby County we can get this for you.
- Government issued photo ID such as drivers license or pass port
- Social Security Card
The following information can be obtained from the internet. If you do not have internet access or need help, we have a terminal set up in a private room in our office that you can use.
- Vehicle valuation from www.nada.com
- Proof of credit counseling (certificate) from Access Counseling at www.AccessCounseling.com or by calling 800-205-9297. Complete the first course. If you use my attorney code KFO3339 you will get a $10 discount. My clients who live in Mississippi click here and my clients who live in Tennessee click here.
- Experian or Equifax credit report from www.annualcreditreport.com. 1 free per year.
We are a debt relief agency. We help people file for bankruptcy relief under the bankruptcy code.